I’ve written many times about how I’ve found my way getting back towards living a fit lifestyle. And, honestly, losing my way from fitness was a blessing because it helped me to learn just.how.difficult. it is to re-find your way into working out.
Coming back from injury or recovering from something difficult life has thrown your way feels like somewhat of an insurmountable task. But you can start working out… and you can get to working out regularly.
In fact, when I started my original Couch to 5k program, it was right around this time last year. It was all I could do to get up off the couch to run/walk three days a week. And, while I’m definitely not an expert athlete at this point, I’m so proud of what I’ve achieved in the past year. And I’m going to be so proud of you when you achieve your goals.
If you’re just starting to work out, or if you’re just getting back into a fitness-focused lifestyle, then here are 25 of my top tips to get started working out.
Beginner-Friendly Fitness Programs
As a beginner in the fitness space, most fitness routines may seem unreachable. But there are a lot of programs that are designed just to get you started in the first place! When you’re looking at a workout, always be comfortable modifying to fit your current fitness level. We were all beginners once, and you’ll only get there by working up to a tougher workout and avoiding injury.
- Couch to 5k Program (also helps to set your mind right!)
- Resistance Band, Low Impact Workout
- No Equipment, Total Body Pyramid Workout
- Three Circuit, Total Body Workout
- Pop Sugar Beginner Strength Workout
- Yoga for Beginners (a great way to start your day)
- 10 Minute Stress Relief Workout
- Triathlon Training for Beginners
- 15 Minute, No Weights Workout
When I got back into fitness, it took signing up and paying for a race to get me committed. (And that’s still somewhat the case.) But when I have a bad run, or if I really, really, very badly don’t want to get out of bed in the mornings, then sometimes I need a little external motivation. If this sounds familiar to you, then check out these links that will help you get started.
- Mind Games for Tough Runs
- Follow friends on Strava
- Mind/Body Therapy Techniques
- 6 Things You Only Think You Don’t Have Time For
- 5 Simple Rituals that Will Build Your Happiness
- Fitness Trends that Will Get You Pumped to Work Out
- How Exercise Can Be Used as a Form of Recovery
Sports Nutrition Tips to Implement Now
Sports nutrition may not be the first thing you consider when you start working out, but it matters. Try out these tips to get your body in shape before you even hit the weights section at the gym.
- What You Should Eat Before and After You Work Out
- Everything You Need to Know About Electrolytes (including some home recipes)
- 10 High Protein, Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- My Current, Favorite Super Foods
- What I Eat in a Week
Remember that injury or pushing your body too hard will only hold you back from progress. Use these tips to help keep you injury free and healthy for the long run. (<pardon the pun.)
- How to Foam Roll
- Stretches to De-Stress
- 7 Essential Strategies for Post-Workout Recovery
- 4 Simple Tips to Improve Running Form
Getting back into working out is tough, it’s a mental game that pushes you to the very limit. But it’s so worth it. You’re worth it. Keep working hard. You’re worth living an incredible life.