Editor’s Note: This article was originally published in Simple Joy.
Life can be incredibly stressful sometimes. We can stub our toe in the morning, perpetuating a whole series of negative events; or some major shift in our career, relationship status, or life plan might completely thwart our otherwise happy day.
While these events have the potential to make our whole day feel messy and unsatisfying, what can we do to change our trajectory and end our day on a positive note?
Here are 20 of my tried and tested one-minute tasks that will make you instantly happier.
20 One-Minute Tasks that Will Make You Instantly Happier
- Buy yourself flowers. Just looking at and smelling your favorite fresh blooms will instantly bring a smile to your face.
- Listen to your “Happiness 9-1-1 Song.” That song that makes you feel like you just have to get up and dance. (If you need suggestions, many of my clients pick “Happy” by Pharrell Williams or “Walking on Sunshine” by Katrina & the Waves.)
- Wake up 10 minutes earlier to just relax and enjoy your cup of coffee or tea. Relaxing in the quietness of the morning is a perfect way to start your day admiring the world around you.
- Close your eyes and focus purely on your breadth for one minute. Focus your mind only on your in-breadths and out-breadths, counting them if you’re having difficulty focusing. This will bring you back to the present moment and will relax your mind.
- Have a real conversation with the next person that serves you at a store. It doesn’t need to be a long conversation, but it is certain to have a positive impact. (Bonus: You’ll also brighten the day of your newfound acquaintance!)
- Change your phone screensaver to a picture of something that makes you instantly feel joy.
- Write down 5 things that you are grateful for right now. Try to be creative with your list and notice the smaller nuisances that make your life better.
- Write a positive review online of one of your favorite spots in town. Remembering those happy moments will bring you back to that moment and the good feelings you had at that time. (Bonus: You’ll be helping out one of your favorite businesses, too!)
- Text an old friend to let them know that you’re thinking about them and just to say hello.
- Enjoy your favorite snack. (Even if you have to get it delivered or it’s incredibly unhealthy.)
- Take a moment to write out one of your secret life goals. Write out the details and start the process of making it a reality.
- Stretch as tall as you possibly can to work out some of the kinks.
- Make your bed. Research shows that it’s a keystone habit and becomes a catalyst for other good habits and more happiness in your home.
- Before you get up in the morning, set an intention for the day. In his book The Art of Happiness, His Holiness the Dalai Lama says, “Every day, think as you wake up: today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it.” How are you going to make an impact today and live out your life intentionally.
If you enjoyed this article, be sure to subscribe to the newsletter by entering your details below. There I share all of my freelance work as soon as it’s shared to the public!
Create a great life!