DIY Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches are the simple make-ahead treat that will leave you full of nutrition, even when you have to rush out the door. Allowing a variety of options, this breakfast is perfect for the entire family!
I’ve put this recipe in DIY-type format. Scroll to the bottom for the complete recipe, or keep reading for a quick catch up and DIY-style instructions.
This month has been non-stop. Starting up three new social media marketing clients, creating a new product with a well-known fitness blogger (check back later this week for more details!), and a lot of personal shi* that is going on behind-the-scenes means that I’ve hardly had time to sit down and breathe… not that I’ve allowed myself to make the time. (Sometimes thinking really hurts, ya’ know?)
At first, I allowed my nutrition and fitness to get way too lax. I honestly forgot to eat (or wasn’t hungry), stopped working out entirely, couldn’t sleep past 2am (or get to sleep before 11pm), and just allowed stress to completely take over my life.
It got to an incredibly unhealthy point very, very quickly – I dropped over 10 pounds in under a week and I’ve already had to get five blood tests in late April through today due to low iron levels and something fishy going on with my blood platelet count. My doctors and I think we have it under control and at least some of the answers, but can’t be entirely certain at this point.
I’m now intentionally forcing myself to eat. And there are only a few quick, easy meals that I can actually consume (or, TMI, keep down) at this point.
Thankfully, these DIY breakfast sandwiches are typically one of those meals. They’re perfect to make ahead, relatively nutritious, and hardly take any time at all. Keep reading to learn how to make one of my favorite meals.
Below, I’ve included the instructions next to pictures of each step below, but I have the usual full instruction list at the bottom of the post, as well!
The ingredients that I’ve begun to love are traditional English Muffins, three large eggs, black forest ham, and baby swiss cheese. Not pictured are fresh salt and pepper, 1 tablespoon water, and PAM. Feel free to be flexible with these ingredients if you have something different available at home. Different breads, meats (sausage, bacon), or cheeses (cheddar, pepper jack) are all incredibly tasty ways to mix up these sandwiches across time.
Combine the eggs and water together in a small bowl. Salt and pepper to taste.
Whisk together until the ingredients are completely combined and it’s frothy on top. Reminder, activities such as this are why we work out. Get that whisk moving, y’all!
Coat the bottom of a small skillet on medium heat with PAM (or butter, if preferred) and pour a small amount of the egg mixture into the pan to create a thin layer. To assist with amounts, you’ll be doing this step four times (1/sandwich), so each pour should be 1/4 of the original mixture.
Allow each layer to rest in the pan for just a drop over a minute, then flip to allow the other side to set (~30 seconds.) Check both sides to make sure that they’re to your desired level of “doneness” prior to moving them to the side.
To put the final sandwiches together, layer the bottom half of you bread with a slice of cheese, followed by your egg. Fold the egg so that it fits appropriately onto your sandwich. Top the egg with some freshly ground pepper.
Add your ham, bacon, or sausage on top of the egg, folding it to fit on the sandwich, as well. Finish off with the top of your bread.
Once your sandwiches are complete, toss them into a zipper sealed bag to be frozen for up to a month.
When you’re ready to eat your sandwich, put it on a microwave-safe plate and paper towel (keeps the bread from getting soggy.) Microwave until the cheese is melted to your desired level, which should be around 1 minute. Then it’s time to enjoy that tasty, early morning, breakfast sandwich at a moments notice! Yummin!
DIY Frozen Breakfast Sandwiches
Prep Time: 5 minutes; Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 4 sandwiches
- 8 slices of bread or 4 of your favorite breakfast bread (I used English Muffins)
- 4 of your favorite breakfast meat (I used slices of Black Forest Ham)
- 4 slices of cheese (I went with Baby Swiss)
- 3 large eggs
- Fresh salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon water
- PAM or butter for greasing pan
- Combine eggs, water, and salt/pepper into a small bowl and whisk until frothy on top.
- Heat a small skillet to medium and coat the bottom of the inside of the skillet with PAM. Add 1/4 of the egg mixture to the pan and let sit for ~1 minute. Flip the egg combination and allow to sit for another ~30 seconds. Remove from heat and repeat the process until you have 4 eggs done.
- The order for your sandwich can vary, but I prefer the following: bottom slice of bread, slice of cheese, egg combination, freshly ground pepper, breakfast meat, top portion of bread. Once your sandwiches are completed, put in a zipper-close bag to be put in the freezer for up to one month.
- To reheat, line a microwave-safe plate with a paper towel, before putting the sandwich on top. Heat the sandwich in the microwave until the cheese is melted, which should be ~1 minute.
If you like this post, be sure to sign up for the newsletter by filling out your details on the bottom of the page. In the newsletter, I share exclusive content and giveaways – don’t miss out!
Create a great life!