This homemade, nutritious taco meat adds a special something to our monthly taco nights. Borrowed from Ray’s family friend, and fondly referred to as “Silvia’s taco meat” in our home, the recipe hosts a huge assortment of nutritious ingredients and makes our tacos taste 900 times better than ever before. Add on your usual toppings and be prepared to be amazed at how delicious your tacos taste with this recipe in hand.
Scroll to the bottom to get to the recipe immediately, or continue reading for a quick catch up.
This Week in Two Paragraphs
This week was intentionally planned to be a bit more quiet and more regular in terms of scheduling. Bookended by a visit from my mother and my heading out on a week-long work/personal trip, I knew that I needed a little peace and quiet to get some work done and goals accomplished. I love seeing my family and friends, but a little bit more routine was exactly what I needed to get back on track.
Be sure to follow me on SnapChat (@SemiSweetTooth) and on Instagram (@SemiSweetTooth) to check out the Q&A I recently did, future tips & tricks, and behind-the-scenes fun! Also, my newsletter this week included my thoughts on the most awkward question I’m regularly asked. Be sure to subscribe to the SST newsletter if you’re interested in hearing more.
Have a great weekend! And now to our recipe…
This taco meat is incredibly delicious and adds an extra punch of nutrition to your traditional taco nights. Make this just slightly in advance of setting out a taco buffet and you’ll look like you’ve prepped for hours. Toss on your usual favorite toppings and your family and guests won’t be able to help themselves from taking seconds.
Homemade, Nutritious Taco Meat
(aka “Silvia’s Taco Meat”)
Prep time: 10 minutes; Cook time: 15 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
Serves: 4 adults
- 2 lbs ground beef (i.e. two packages of 16 oz packages we typically buy in the store)
- 2 tomatoes (chopped into large chunks)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/3 of a red onion (chopped into large chunks)
- 3 tablespoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons water
- To taste: salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Start to break apart and brown the ground beef on medium to low. While the beef is browning, add the tomatoes, onion, garlic cloves, and water to a blender or food processor. Blend on medium 30 second to a minute until it is almost a liquid.
- Prior to the ground beef being completely cooked, pour the blended mixture into the ground beef. Stir to combine to allow the meat to pick up the flavors of the mixture you just created. Flavor with salt, pepper, and cumin as the meat is still cooking.
- Once the beef is completely cooked, serve warm alongside your usual favorite taco toppings and shells/tortillas. (I used shredded cabbage, parmesan cheese, and crushed red pepper on top of flour tortillas and just over half a cup of this taco meat per taco. It tasted incredibly delicious and fresh.) Enjoy! Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator up to one week.
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
What’s your trick for making tacos taste extra delicious?
What was something wonderful that happened over this past week?
Create a great life!